A dare to shave their heads to help fight childhood cancer led to the original shaved head fundraiser back in March 2000 and the creation of St. Baldrick’s Foundation. The original fundraising goal of shaving 17 heads and raising $17,000 turned into 19 bald heads and and an amazing $104,000 donated to fund the research of the Children’s Oncology Group.
As the shaved head cancer fundraiser idea caught on, more people joined in each year. In 2012, St. Baldrick’s Foundation raised more than $33 million dollars for cancer research. Not only that, they also passed the $100 million dollar mark for total funds raised! Not bad for a couple of Irish guys deciding to help out cancer patients by shaving heads at their favorite Irish pub.
In fact, Irish pubs seem to be one of the best places to hold a shaved head fundraiser with 4 of the top 5 fundraising events in 2013 being held at Irish pubs. Here’s the list of their top 5 cancer fundraisers:
- Helen FitzGerald’s Irish Grill and Pub – $418,944.14
- Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub and Restaurant – $343,128.88
- McMullan’s Irish Pub – $288,707.81
- Fado Irish Pub – $286,954.17
- Bill and Joey’s 7th Annual Excellent Shaving Adventure – $277,099.99
Here’s a slideshow video of the top head shaving event at Helen FitzGerald’s Irish Grill and Pub in St. Louis, Missouri.
There is no real St. Baldrick, but if there were, he’d be very proud of these impressive fundraisers. The name “St. Baldrick’s” is a combination of the words “bald” and “St. Patrick’s,” since the first event was held on March 17, 2000 which is St. Patrick’s Day.
But, there’s no reason you can’t join in the fun and pitch in at a nearby event or even start your own shaved head cancer fundraiser.
You can click here to signup to start your own St.Baldrick’s fundraiser. They provide extensive assistance with showing you how to organize your shaved head fundraising event.
- You sign up to organize an event in your area.
- An event coach walks you through every step.
- You recruit others to shave, volunteer, or donate.
They make it easy for you to succeed with your event:
- Each event gets its own fundraising page on St. Baldrick’s website.
- Each fundraising team gets their own fundraising page.
- Each participant gets their own fundraising page.
With all the assistance provided, there’s no reason not to get started today. Let’s all make a difference by getting involved!