Candy fundraising is incredibly popular with youth sports groups, school clubs, and church youth activities. What most groups need a little help with is how to maximize their profits.
Candy fundraisers are great, but because it’s a small dollar item, you need to have a well thought out plan to boost your results. The basics are simple – buy your candy at the best possible price, properly prepare your sales team, and execute a winning strategy.
Double Your Candy Fundraising Results
Candy fundraising has three basic profit boosters:
- Buying your fundraising candy at the best price
- Properly preparing and equipping your sales force
- Executing your candy fundraiser sales strategy
Buy at the best price
Many groups overlook these candy fundraising fundamentals:
- Locate the lowest cost candy suppliers that support fundraisers
- Use our recommended candy fundraising supplier
- Select the type of candy you’ll be selling
- Prepare a one-page RFQ (Request For Quotation) and get faxed quotes
- Call back the top three companies for “best and final” pricing
- Ask this question: “Is that the best you can do?“
Remember to seek a cash discount for prepayment. You’ll need to pay by check or money order because using credit cards adds 3% of the total amount in processing charges.
You should be able to save 5% to 10% off the regular quoted price by shopping around. That discount will be a big boost to your bottom line.
Prepare your sales force
To maximize your profits, your sales force needs to know what to say. They should always have a sales flyer and their candy merchandise in hand.
Here’s what they need to do to prepare:
- Make a sales volume commitment in front of their peer group.
- Make a prospect list of family, friends, and neighbors to call on.
- Rehearse their sales pitch: a short, two-sentence value proposition
Here’s what they need to do to sell more:
- Smile, use their name in greeting, and introduce yourself
- Use the power of “because“
- Ask for their help (ask for the order) while making eye contact and suggest an amount
Example sales script: (Keep it short & sweet)
Hi, Mrs. Johnson! (Smile and make eye contact)
I’m Jimmy Roberts from down the street. (Hand over sales flyer with large bold print)
Our sports team is doing a candy fundraiser because we need new uniforms.
Can you help us out with a $5 contribution? That gets you three of our big $2 candy bars!
(Pause and wait for response)
The important points are to smile, use a sales flyer, use the word because, ask for their help, and suggest an order size, then wait for a response.
Each prospect has a potential dollar value to your organization. Don’t waste prospects by not being prepared. Make sure all your sellers know what to say and how to say it.
Execute your sales strategy
To double or triple your results, you’ll need to do more than buy right and have a well-prepared, committed sales force calling on family, friends, and neighbors.
You’ll need to do two more things:
- Leverage the power of selling to complete strangers.
- Offer a higher-priced, higher profit option – a discount card.
Arrange to sell your candy at several high-traffic spots such as outside grocery stores, mass merchants, home improvement stores, etc. You can easily raise $1,500 in one Saturday at one good location. With the right additional product line, you can easily double that.
Include a separate offering for a $10 discount card. They only cost $1 to $2, so selling one is a huge profit boost. They are available for pizza chains, fast food burgers, Subway, etc.
I don’t have enough space here in the candy fundraising article to do these concepts justice.
Read the two articles listed below (Location, Location, Location and Fundraising Discount Cards) for complete details on these powerful candy fundraising profit boosters.
Location, Location, Location – A good location can generate big profits – How to find the best fund-raising locations and work them for maximum fund raising profits.
Discount Cards – An easy fundraiser product that has widespread appeal and great perceived value. Plus, the 90% profit margins and $10 price always produce great results.
Candy Fundraiser Sales – Four tips for improving your candy fundraiser sales – How offering an overlay or supplemental product can double or triple your profits.
Candy Fundraiser – Tips for selecting the right candy fundraiser – How to improve your group’s results by offering the right fundraising products.
Candy Bar Fundraising – Candy bar fundraising tips on selecting suppliers and maximizing candy sales – Why it’s important to ask for help and to use the word because when asking for a candy bar fundraiser order.
Candy Sales – Ideas for an easy candy sales fundraiser that really makes money – Profit tips for maximizing your candy sales fundraising results.